Comprehensive Eye Care
Pasadena Eye Care Services
At Coastal Eye Associates, we provide comprehensive eye care from routine exams for eyeglasses and contact lenses to highly specialized medical treatments and surgical procedures for complex eye conditions.
Routine eye examinations are recommended for all ages. Conditions and diseases that affect vision can occur at any age. Many of the conditions that affect older patients actually start earlier in life and are diagnosed during routine evaluations.
Any family history of eye disease should prompt a routine eye examination.
When should I / my child have an eye exam?
Experts, including the American Academy of Ophthalmology and the American Optometric Association, recommend that children receive their first formal eye exam at the age of 3-1/2.
Children should be screened for common childhood eye problems, such as strabismus (crossed eyes) and amblyopia (lazy eye), as well as refractive errors such as nearsightedness and farsightedness. Visual difficulties can affect a child’s overall well-being. Children with poor visual skills often struggle in school, which, in turn, may lead to a short attention span and low self-esteem. Regular eye screenings can detect vision problems early so that corrective therapies can be initiated.
The American Academy of Ophthalmology recommends that adults have an eye exam according to the following schedule:
- Ages 20 to 29: at least once during this time
- Ages 30 to 39: at least twice during this time
- Ages 40 to 64: every 2 to 4 years
- Age 65 or older: every 1 to 2 years
Your eye doctor may recommend a different schedule if you have certain eye problems, diseases, or risk factors
- TYPE II DIABETES – Annual Eye Exam
- TYPE 1 DIABETES – Annual Eye Exam
- PREGNANT DIABETICS – Examination every three months during pregnancy
- GLAUCOMA – Annual Eye Exam if you have risk factors for glaucoma, such as African American descent or a family history of the disease
You should also see your eye doctor if you have:
- Blurry Vision
- Eye Pain
- Red Eyes
- Blind Spots
- Any other eye problem including a sudden change in vision